Sunday, September 09, 2007

Square One

Literally.

New Project.

(I'll get around to telling you of the old-to-me-but-new-to-you-stuff eventually. This one is a truly new project.)

I've got all these random balls of Baby Cashmerino that I've picked up here and there, starting well over a year ago, with the idea of making a patchworky baby blanket. Originally, I was thinking garter stitch mitres, but since I've already got a decent stack of stockinette mitres (in denim, not cashmerino) . . .

I've also been wanting for over a year to do a sampler afghan -- not because I actually want such an afghan, but because I think that all those different squares would just be really fun. Each is a separate low-pressure little project, a few hours at most, no worries . . .

So.

Baby Cashmerino, the Barbara Walker "Learn to Knit Afghan Book," and we'll see how it goes.

No, still not planning an afghan.

The idea is to make all the squares, but use them for two to four baby blankets instead. (Hence, the baby cashmerino. Sooooo soft. I knew I would need it for something!) As there are 63 squares in the book, this will take a bit of jiggery pokery. 63 squares won't make anything at all except the 7 by 9 full sized afghan. 64 would make 4 tiny blankets (about 30 inches square, plus borders). 60 would make either 3 or 2 larger blankets.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Always best to save the underhanded dodges till the end of things, when you know they're really necessary. Probably I won't come to it at all, what with my severe deficiency of stick-to-it-ive-ness. (Where *are* my vitamins?)

Square One: Striped Garter Stitch

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dena said...

Welcome to the world of the Walker afghan. I'm working on it with a friend, square by square together. We're calling it our 20-year project, but it's going a lot faster than that.

We don't love some of the mosaic squares, so we're planning to design some replacements. Maybe you can add some of our replacements to your 63 squares to add up to the right number of squares for multiple projects.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the square. How could you go wrong with Barbara Walker, anyway. Your project idea is a good one and perfect for us short attention span-ners. Don't you just love that Baby Cashmerino? I'm knitting with some from my stash, as well, and it just has a superior finish next to anything else I have knit with.

Ang

11:20 AM  
Blogger kimchi said...

nice!!!
all 3 squares look great so far! can't wait to see the other FO's. ek.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home