Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Okay, Freaky . . .

So, I had these tomatoes.

Been in the kitchen . . . oh . . . a while.

Some were bad, and I tossed them.

But one looked okay.

Albeit a little different than the norm.

It looked like it might have a dark centre -- which you do get in some tomatoes, but I didn't remember these having dark centres when I bought them -- and there were a couple of bumps on the surface -- which I also didn't remember, but I hadn't been paying all that much attention, and they were "organic," so little defects are to be expected.

Still it looked basically fine, nice even, and I decided to use it up last night before it joined its brothers and bit the dust. Waste not, want not, and all.

Surprise!

My first reaction, as these little green things *sprung out* when I cut my poor tomato open, was approximately:

"BUGS! WORMS??? IN MY TOMATO? HOW????"

Only with way more swearing and even a high-pitched girly scream or two.

(Yes. I'm a little "high strung," and am entirely hostage to my imagination. In my defense, the kitchen was not well lit at the time.)

But then the wormy green things stopped writhing, and I decided it was probably safe to approach, no matter how disgusting chopped up green worms might be, and . . .

Not worms.

Sprouts.

The tomato seeds sprouted, in situ:




WTF?

You are too eager, my tomato, my friend!

Harbinger of the apocalypse?

Something to think about.

Also, more hats:




While these may not look any different or more exciting than the last batch, they represent a major milestone: I've fully slogged my way through the multicoloured mohair.

Only the blue remains.

Yee haw.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME tomato! And your hats are looking good too. ;)

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go on the hats! wow, you really slogged your way thru that mohair. now it's just the blue yarn, right?
YUCK!!!
things sprouting in tomatoes is just not right. but i'm glad they weren't worms! THAT would have totally FREAKED ME OUT!!! :o)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Cookie said...

How long were those tomatoes in your kitchen?! o.O

Great hats!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome hats. Weird tomato.

Ang

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous tomato! (great hats too yadayadayada) Did you plant it/them? Is it Too Late for the sprouts? Did you eat the sprouts? Is there a law about eating tomato sprouts? Bean sprouts are good right... tomato sprouts? I never heard of tomatoes sprouting before. Amazing.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

It is far Too Late for the sprouts, as I am incapable of keeping a plant alive -- so quite naturally I tossed them rather than even trying. Also this was almost certainly a hybrid, so there would be no telling what the next generation would be like.

I have some idea that tomato sprouts are toxic?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm still grossed out by this post. specifically the picture.
bleck.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right! They're poisonous! see http://waltonfeed.com/grain/sprouts.html
Amazing. Another to the list of things they don't tell you at school. Or maybe they do but I wasn't paying attention but you were which is why you Knew they were toxic.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

I always assume everything could be toxic. It is why I am still alive.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Kathy Put said...

Commenting ridiculously after-the-fact here, but...

the fact that there were sprouted seeds actually proves that it was an awesome tomato. The typical tomato is a hybrid, therefore it's seeds will not grow, and most have so little "substance' that they couldn't nurture seeds if they were fertile. A fertile, sprouting tomato is doing what it was meant to do. You just got there a little late for lunch!

I'd still flip out if it happened in my kitchen though.

Kathy

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home