Thursday, August 24, 2006

Nine Tenths of the Law

Now over half done.

But I gotta tell you, this one is boring me half to death. (If it bores me all the way to death, please do not resuscitate. No sense in coming back if it means I just have to face more of this one . . . )

It is very slow going.

And it is now big enough that it is unwieldy and even a little unpleasant to knit. (I begin to see the positive side of seams.)

Worst of all, it is now big enough that it is upsetting the natural order in my household.

The natural order: Anonyknits wakes up, or gets home from work, or whatever. Immediately goes to couch and picks up the knitting. Is quickly joined by both cats, who argue briefly about which gets to sit on the lap and which gets to sit on the yarn (cat hair protective shielding provided by Ziplock), then settle down. There is knitting. There is napping. And there is most definitely TiVo. Sometimes we do this for hours. Great fun.

I have just about perfected the technique of knitting projects even as large as a sweater back or a lace shawl without getting them covered in cat hair. Or viciously snagged by suddenly intrigued feline claws. Or, for that matter, eaten. (Magic!)

But the pseudo-Prairie blanket is just too big.

So either the knitting doesn't happen, or the cats get evicted.

Have tried eviction.

The cats are not pleased. Even if I manage to push them off me and the yarn (ever tried to evict a cat? you gotta be ruthless.), they just come back ten minutes later, yowling. ("Aren't you done yet???? Where's my lap???? Where's my yaaaaaaaaarn????")

And, of course, the second I leave my knitting spot to answer the phone or get a cup of coffee (or something stronger), I get this:





What is it they say? Something about possession . . .

(On the other hand, I think this is more than adequate excuse for not finishing the blanket in time for the shower.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

What yarn are you using here...it's lovely.

Angb

8:12 PM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

Rowan's All Seasons Cotton. Am told the shade was not released. Sometimes it goes by "Eden," and I have seen it occasionally on eBay.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

Well it is really nice anyway. And that is the exact reason why I crochet all baby blankets. The knitted ones take way. too. freaking. long.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could give the baby a kitty as a gift and forget the blanket. ;^)

11:15 PM  
Blogger Kathy in DC said...

That is one cute, "rotten", snuggly, happy cat! Yarn is a beautiful color.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home